Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Question about 70V transformers

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Question about 70V transformers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by CONVERGENCE:
    There's Edcor Electronics. They have different
    wattage transformers.You might want to chek them out.

    ...........
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Edcor is very well thought of...no personal experience but too many people I know say they are good- I have no idea how pricing compares..

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    i had some 409-b's with transformers on them, i assumme 70 v..when bypassed the speaker was much louder. perhaps we should expand this post abit to explain to the ignorant umongst us, namely me..just what a 70 volt transformer is used for? i kinda knew it was for like a paging system..to ditribute the limited available power for many speakers? im more than likely wrong here but a little schooling in this area would be much appreciated

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Question about 70V transformers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Essentially, the power is stepped up to run long distances, just like high tension lines, then stepped down at the speaker, just like the pole transformer outside your house.

    Less power loss at high voltages.

    By hooking up the transformer, you were stepping down your amp with out ever having stepped it up.

    Make sense? Only use the transformer when connecting to a constant voltage line.

    This is over simplified, the analogy between a high voltage 70/100 volt system and high tension lines only goes so far, but I hope it gets the idea across.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member katzenandguthrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2005
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow great info! I checked out the QSC and the Peavey and they both look like what I'm after but the Edcor TA-100-8-70 seems to be dead on and the price is something like $34.00 each. I think at that price I should just pick some up, run the same test, and see what happens. That Altec 15524A, man, now that's a nice transformer! It's the reference standard I'll use to judge the others with.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Question about 70V transformers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Mark Guthrie:
    Wow great info! I checked out the QSC and the Peavey and they both look like what I'm after but the Edcor TA-100-8-70 seems to be dead on and the price is something like $34.00 each. I think at that price I should just pick some up, run the same test, and see what happens. That Altec 15524A, man, now that's a nice transformer! It's the reference standard I'll use to judge the others with.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You do of course realize the $34 Edcor you mentioned is a 100 watt transformer and the $63 Peavey is a 400 watt?


    Just wanting to make sure it's apples to apples...of course if 100 watt is adequate for your needs- I can't remember the last time I used a 100 watt amp....I don't even have that small an amp on my stereo...so I may have tried to over sell you. That's what I get for not asking enough questions...just give me a pointed hat.

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    There is one rule for installation.

    Q: How many loudspeakers can I hook up to my 70 volt amplifier?

    A: All you need to remember is to not exceed your power amplifier wattage rating by the total sum of the transformer power taps that are used by each loudspeaker. We recommend you also allow a 25% safety margin for losses in the transformers and wiring


    ............................

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    old guy..well put! i completely get it now! i do have some long runs here at home, it all seems to be working fine. makes sense when explained by a technician with yrs of feild service, and priceless experience actually using the gear we all love! truely a resource we can rely on.

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Question about 70V transformers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by CONVERGENCE:
    There is one rule for installation.

    Q: How many loudspeakers can I hook up to my 70 volt amplifier?

    A: All you need to remember is to not exceed your power amplifier wattage rating by the total sum of the transformer power taps that are used by each loudspeaker. We recommend you also allow a 25% safety margin for losses in the transformers and wiring


    ............................
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agreed except-one big but- bigger even than J Lo's...

    His amplifier is drect coupled. He needs one BIG transformer to step up to the high voltage line...it has to handle ALL the power the amp puts out, and then some. That's why I posted the caution- the one transformer has to be as heavy duty as all the others COMBINED.

  9. #19
    Inactive Member katzenandguthrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2005
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm with you on all your points and yes, a 100w should work just fine. (good call about the Peavey being higher wattage than the Edcor, I didn't catch that)But the part I'm could use a little help on is when to use 70v vs 25v.

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    If the taps on your speakers are 70v then you must use 70V on the amp. If your taps were say 25
    V then you you would need 25V. Your carrying the signal on a 70 volt line "careful for shocs".
    or 125 volts. The sender transformer has to be the same as the receiver transformer.

    Then you must match the wattage of each speaker taps to the wattage of your amp. It should never exceed the output of your amp. As a matter of fact
    you should give yoursel 25% of headroom.

    .............................

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.